Austin, TX asked in Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support for Texas

Q: Austin is having protests, I have a standing order in place. But I don’t want to possibly endanger my kids.

We are separated, divorce not final. She was served and the kids were with her at the time. Austin is in the middle of a protest. I have lawyers but they are not available to talk to. I have standing orders to not change the children’s residences...but I have no clue what that means. It says Do NOT change the residence of the children unless. A) all parties agree to writing the change B) the court order changes or C) An active court gives you exclusive rights to designate the primary residence of the children. I have not signed custody papers do I have to take them back. They have 2 places they stay. Mine and hers.

1 Lawyer Answer
Chad Zubi
Chad Zubi
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Humble, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If there is a standing order in place then you are required to follow it. My interpretation of don’t change the children’s residence is don’t change where they live by moving unless the specified conditions have been met. It doesn’t mean that you are prohibited from following a possession and access (visitation) order that may be in place.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.