New York, NY asked in Immigration Law for Massachusetts

Q: I am currently stuck in the US due to the covid outbreak the borders of my country are closed. What are my options

They are reopening I am currently stuck in the US due to the coronavirus outbreak the borders of my country are closed. they are reopening this week, however the flights that were once available are being cancelled. this is very unstable and my stay is ending July 11th. I do not want to overstay on my visa. What are my options? Will i be penalized if i do extend my stay if i decided to travel back to the US at some other point?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Ms Grace I Gardiner
Ms Grace I Gardiner pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY

A: Once the borders were closed you should and still could file the extension of stay and keep a copy of the filing should any issues arise in the future. Feel free to call for a consultation

Claudia Jocelyne Kokaz Muslu
Claudia Jocelyne Kokaz Muslu
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Longmeadow, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: This really depends on the type of visa you have now. For example there are exceptions for visa program waiver/ESTA holders where you can get an extension for your stay for one to two months from customs and border protection or USCIS. This is not possible if you are on a tourist (B2) visa. Then, you would need to do an application to extend your nonimmigrant status (Application to extend/change nonimmigrant status However, in immigration law there are always exceptions to the rule. Therefore, it is best to discuss the details of your situation with an experienced immigration attorney to find out the best solution for your specific case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.