Winter Haven, FL asked in Child Custody for Florida

Q: If I fight my boyfriend for custody will he win? He has a house, car, went to college, has a good paying job.

I'm a stay at home mom and I'm now living with my parents. I dont have a job or anything

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jean Richardson
Jean Richardson
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Aventura, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: It is impossible to answer your question without more information. For example: who is the child currently living with? How old is the child? Are there any reasons that a court may find you unfit to be the custodial parent? The ability to financially provide for the child is important, however, it is not the sole factor in the custody equation. The standard is "best interest of the child." So, if you want custody, you must convince the court that it is in the best interest of the child for you to have custody. BTW, if you are the current custodial parent, he should be paying child support for you to adequately take care of the child. Please consult with a local attorney for a more thorough analysis of your situation. Best of luck to you!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.