Ogden, UT asked in Criminal Law for Utah

Q: PO Violation due to COVID: Had to violate No Contact PO due to exposure of minor son to COVID.

My ex has a baseless No Contact PO against me. I was sick with several COVID symptoms. While infectious I had visitation with my minor son. I was worried for their whole household. It seemed like exigent circumstances. I told my son who was afraid to tell his mom. I sent her a brief text telling her he had been exposed. Now I have a felony summons for a PO violation. Do I have a defense?

(This is a felony charge because I was forced into a plea bargain related to earlier totally baseless charges.)

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ian Quiel
Ian Quiel
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Salt Lake City, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: Based on these facts, you could have an excellent defense. If your only communication was regarding a potential emergency (exposure to COVID-19), I suggest hiring an attorney to explain this to the DA and fight the case, if necessary.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.