Owasso, OK asked in Family Law for Oklahoma

Q: What defines a “meaningful relationship” in Oklahoma?

My daughter is nearly 2.5 and my husband of almost a year has raised her since she was 4 months old. Her biological father moved out of state, and hasn’t seen her in nearly 4 months. When he would see her it was for a couple hours once a month and would never ask to call or video chat with her, and would hardly even text to ask about her. My husband wants to adopt her but we don’t think her biological father will consent. I have seen that failure to maintain a meaningful relationship with the child can cause his rights to be terminated and allow the adoption to go through. Is this true? What exactly defines a meaningful relationship with her?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Moura A J Robertson
Moura A J Robertson
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Failure to maintain a relationship with the child is one factor the court considers when someone petitions the court for adoption without the consent of a biological parent. Another factor is failure to support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.