Quincy, IL asked in Employment Law for Illinois

Q: is it legal for my former employer to deny a copy of a contract if I request one?

I'm located in Illinois. I'd like to review the non-compete agreement in a consultation I but I do not have my own copy. The employer is unhappy with how I left the company and threatened to enforce the agreement. I want to know if they can deny me a copy which I suspect they might if I request it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cynthia Rote
Cynthia Rote
  • Pecatonica, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: If your employment with the company was within the last year the employer must permit you to inspect your personnel documents upon your written request. The inspection right includes contractual agreements you had with your employer. Pursuant to the Illinois Personnel Record Review Act that employer must provide you with the ability to inspect the documents within 7 working days after you make the request unless the employer can show that the deadline cannot be reasonably met, then the employer will have an additional 7 days to comply. You can request copies of information in your file and the employer is allowed to charge a fee of the actual cost of duplicating the information. If your former employer continues to deny you access to your personnel file you can file a complaint with the Illinois Department of Labor or contact an attorney to file suit for compliance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.