Provo, UT asked in Family Law for Utah

Q: My daughter went to live with her dad, who she barely knows, in Wyoming and now he doesn’t want her to come visit me.

My daughter wanted to go live with her dad in Wyoming so I let her and signed a paper saying she lives with me but that she was temporarily going to live with him. She wants to come visit but now he’s saying he’s afraid I won’t bring her back. I’m the one that has had custody of her entire life and the Office of Recovery Services has adjusted child support through July but I never put an end date on her living with him so if he doesn’t let her come visit, am I within my right to go get her? He hasn’t been in her life up until now and it’s clearly stated that it was temporary.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mike Branum
Mike Branum
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: If she wants to come home - because your residence is her home - and you have court-ordered primary custody, you are certainly within your rights to go pick her up. I would do everything possible to reassure her father that you will keep him involved in her life and try to avoid drama. Conflict between the two of you will absolutely have a negative impact on your daughter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.