Baltimore, MD asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Maryland

Q: Non custodial parents refuse to provide his new address since Nov 2019, but still wants visit every other weekend.

My ex moved from is mom's house in Nov 2019, during is weekend with our 6 yr old daughter. Mom's address is on record in the court order. I found out he moved for my daughter (I had to buy her a phone because he was never home when I called to speak to her). I asked him about it and he just dismissed it. I asked for the new address so that I would know where she was staying and so that it can go on record for the court, but he told me I didn't need to know where he lived and he wasn't telling me. She hadn't visited with him since but has talked to the phone and face time as much as they both want to without any interference. I tried to set up day visits but he says no, he wants her the weekend! He's aslso behind over $18,000 in child support. I know Im in violation also, but I deserve to know where she is. She loves her dad and I want her to have her time with him. Its been almost 7 mons, and he still refuses to tell me his address. What should I do now that the courts are opening?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elizabeth Pugliese
Elizabeth Pugliese
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: First check the court order. Does it require that parents provide each other their address? If it does, you can file contempt.

Regardless of that step, you can file in court to modify the custody. You can cite as the reason for the change he moved. Then let the court sort it out whether his not providing an address is a good enough reason. Be prepared for the judge to lecture you about cutting off access over an address. But you will still be allowed to present your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.