Kendall Park, NJ asked in Immigration Law for New Jersey

Q: How long does it take for 3 year old to get a U.S passport if they are already a citizen due to being born in the U.S

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL

A: This depends upon the facts and evidence.

The COVID19 virus has slowed passport processing. Many are complaining about unusually long delays in processing in excess of four to eight months.

Yet, more information is needed. Was the child born in a hospital? Or born with a midwife? Is there a valid ‘fraud proof’ birth certificate? Is the parent here as a diplomat? In some unique situations, children may derive citizenship or lawful permanent resident status, even if born outside the U. S.

In some even more unusual situations, the U. S. State Department can refuse to recognize citizenship, then demand a certificate of citizenship or naturalization. This may, or may not, be a reason to hire an attorney to file a lawsuit if you and/or the attorney can afford the time to effectively do so.

If this is unacceptable, then you may want to consider what can be done, based upon the situation, with an experienced counsel, or if lucky, a candid State Department representative. Good luck.

The above is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.