Asked in Family Law for Michigan

Q: My ex won’t sign give me joint or rotate filing taxes I get her 3/4 nights and provide for her. What should I do next?

She won’t sign the affidavit for legal rights I have vacations planned and can’t get passports we broke up 6 months ago I’m tryna move on with life but want this paperwork in order also she being very unfair

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew M Steiger
Andrew M Steiger
  • St. Clair Shores, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: A good custody/support agreement includes enforceable provisions related to child tax credits/exemptions. Without one, you would defer to the general rules regarding who qualifies as a dependents and who can claim the children. You may have to go to court to have a judge order cooperation and completion of the passports, but expect a challenge if she believes you may not come back.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.