Corpus Christi, TX asked in Child Custody for Texas

Q: What is the first step I could take into filing for custody or atleast supervised visits against a parent that is nonfit

I say the parent is nonfit because I know drugs are involved an more then likely he uses. I have standard visitations right now but hate feeling like I have to still send her for his weekends, when in the back of my mind I know something could happen to her, but I feel if I dont allow her to go I could be in trouble. Everytime I receive my daughter back she smells like a pound of marijuana.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Chad Zubi
Chad Zubi
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Kingwood, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Your question says he has visitation. If there is an order in place and there has been a material and substantial change in circumstances, then you can ask for a modification from the court if such a modification would be in the child’s best interest.

If there is no order then you would need to ask for relief, from the proper, court with a suit affecting the parent child relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.