Brooklyn, NY asked in Child Custody for New York

Q: Does my custody order expire when my child turns 18?

My order states I cannot move more than 50 miles away. I'm looking for a better life with my family outside of the 50 miles. Once my son turns 18, am I free to go? Does it matter that my son has a disability?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Howard E. Knispel
Howard E. Knispel
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Commack, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Custody orders do expire at the age of 18. However, child support orders expire at 21. If you move so that the non-custodial parent can not visit with the child, the non-custodial could try to petition the court to terminate support. I am not saying it will be successful, but an argument can be made.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.