Marstons Mills, MA asked in Criminal Law for Massachusetts

Q: I have received a notice to appear for a order of harassment. I need help in knowing what to do. I need a lawyer to help

The person who filed this against me lives above me in the apartment building we live in. I want to know if I have the rite to see her complaint forms. I have been told that in order for her to file this against me she had to list 3 times I harassed her. I have never been to court except one time when I was witness. I have never even got a speeding ticket so I am very upset about this. This involves a situation to due with COVID-19 and I can explain more in detail in a phone call. I feel I should have a lawyer help me with this. Unfortunately I am disabled and on a very limited budget so I would need to know how much this would cost and whether I am able to receive a public defender's help for this matter. Thank you so very much.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dakota Martin
Dakota Martin
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Boston, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: Because restraining and harassment prevention orders are civil as opposed to criminal, you are not afforded a public defender, regardless of your financial means. You can view the affidavit your neighbor made at the courthouse (if it is even open). Perhaps the clerk can email or fax you a copy. Most courts are currently conducting only telephonic hearings and otherwise closed to the public. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.