Nicholasville, KY asked in Civil Rights for Kentucky

Q: I was an inmate and a guard punched me n two other guards held my arms one of them snapped. What should I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Adam Michael Russell
Adam Michael Russell
  • Covington, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: You likely have a claim for deprivation of your constitutional rights by way of cruel and unusual punishment and excessive force depending on the facts of your case. 42 U.S. Code Section 1983 is the most common mechanism for these claims against detention officers or detention facilities. Contact an attorney immediately who understands the complications of these claims and can give you some straightforward advice. It is wise to act quickly so the case can be investigated and evidence is properly preserved.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.