Phoenix, AZ asked in Personal Injury and Car Accidents for Arizona

Q: Pedestrian ran into side of my moving car and is suing me. Does he have a case?

I was driving and had a green light and as I was crossing the intersection a pedestrian ran into the side of my car. His lawyers are saying the police report is not a reliable source since they were only able to interview me. There is traffic cameras in that intersection that show I did not run a red light. They are suing me for $30,000 and my insurance only interviewed me.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tyler Young
Tyler Young
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Provo, UT

A: This is why you carry auto insurance; to cover your defense of this action and potentially settle this claim. Don't get too worried, just make sure your insurer doesn't allow your personal assets to be exposed. You should ask your lawyer the best way to do that.

Police reports typically are not admissible as evidence in a court case. I often see information that conflicts with a police report, sometimes unquestionably.

It's great news for you if the evidence on video suggests you had the green light. This certainly could aid your defense. However, simply because you had the green light does not mean you "win." Most states allow the jury to compare any alleged fault by you against the injured person, or others. It's up to the jury to determine how to allocate that fault.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.