Asked in Immigration Law for Michigan

Q: Im in USA under F1 visa and my brother is a US citizen. My question can he sponsors me to adjust status for a green card

As I mentioned I'm a student in college under F1 visa and my brother is a resident and a US citizien. Is there any way to sponsor me for a green card ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL

A: He can petition you, but you cannot adjust status for a long time. The fourth preference family visa category is an extremely limited quota of annual visas. This means that people must wait many years before they can immigrate as a sibling of a U. S. citizen. If he files for you, you will have to wait years, even decades, before you can even consular process. It is highly unlikely that you can maintain your F-1 student status for the time that it will take for the 4th Preference visa to be current based upon the State Department's Visa Bulletin. In addition, once he files, you may be considered as having immigrant intent for the purposes of any future non-immigrant visa application and/or entry even if you want to return to your studies.

As a result, I strongly recommend an appointment or teleconference with a competent and experienced immigration attorney before there are any other complications. Good luck.

The above is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.