Long Beach, CA asked in Immigration Law and Tax Law for Colorado

Q: Can an undocumented immigrant, who was an independent contractor, file a tax return without a 1099 or W-2?

He will apply for an ITIN with the tax return.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Milwaukee, WI

A: Yes. You are a tax resident, not a permanent resident, if you reside in the U.S. for more than 183 days, so if you owe taxes, then you are required to file a Federal tax return. In addition, this filing can help confirm that you resided in the U.S. should it be necessary to prove it.

If you have any more questions about immigration or tax law, then I strongly recommend an appointment with a competent and experienced immigration and/or tax attorney. Good luck.

The above is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.