Winston-salem, NC asked in Traffic Tickets for North Carolina

Q: How should I go about this resolving this DMV issue that shouldn’t be happening.

lived in SC from 2015-2017. I Received a NC drivers license in 2017. I Got a ticket in SC and my NC was suspended For Failure to pay in 2019 in Springfield Township. After I paid the fine NCDMV says eligible to reinstate. It currently says that still. Upon reinstating the National Driver registry says SCDMV has a hold. South Carolina is saying they suspended my (non-existent) SC drivers license in 2018 for a ticket in rock hill. The only issue is I didn’t have a SC license in 2018. So I can’t reinstate in NC because the SCDMV somehow suspended a license a year after it ceased from existing. They rep mentioned reinstating my SC license which again doesn’t exist. Is this some error?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: The bottom line here is if you get tickets and don't properly / timely take care of them, bad things happen - and the more time that goes by, the more confusing and difficult it is to wade thru the administrative sludge to get the bad things resolved (especially by yourself). You do not need to be licensed in a state for a state to suspend your privilege to drive there - so the fact that you no longer have a SC license is likely irrelevant. If SC suspends your privilege to drive, other states will likely suspend you as well. This is basically suppose to be a motivation to compel you to take care of your missed tickets. Did you also pay off the ticket you received in Rock Hill as well? If not, it sounds like you may simply need to pay the ticket you received in Rock Hill to be eligible for reinstatement. However, paying off tickets willy nilly without knowing what you are doing, can also result in further suspensions (and insurance increases). Your best bet is to to hire a traffic attorney who can pull your driving records from NC and SC and review your situation in detail and lay out your options for resolving this in the best way possible. That and of course - stop getting tickets or if you do, at least take care of them properly and timely. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.