Irvington, NJ asked in Tax Law for New Jersey

Q: I filed my taxes this year , and someone claimed me on their taxes . I don’t Know how to go about this ?

Last year, I was in a government program from September 2018-May 2019. Afterwards i worked two jobs. I want to know how to go about this situation.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James Daloisio
James Daloisio
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: Hello,

Your situation is not uncommon.

You said you filed your taxes, so I'm assuming you mailed your tax return because if you e-filed it'd have been rejected.

If your paper return was rejected and returned to you or if you received a rejection notice, re-file your tax return via U.S. Mail and enclose a cover letter explaining that you are not anyone else's dependent and have been claimed fraudulently.

Also enclose this form with your tax return:

Check the line 3 box "other" and explain in the line 5 comments that you were notified that you'd been claimed as a dependent on someone else's return, but you aren't anyone's dependent and the other return is fraudulent.

That's it. Given the present partial IRS shutdown it will take a while for your paper filed return to be processed. But there is no quicker solution.

Let me know if you'd like any further details or information.

Thank you for visiting Justia.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.