Carlisle, PA asked in Criminal Law for Pennsylvania

Q: I was charged with possession of suboxone following a car accident. I didn't have my coat so the driver allowed me to .

Wear his. I was searched due to a warrant for fines and cost. I was charged with possession even though he said they were his and I didn't know they were in there. If I take a written or video statement from him to district court can I have the case thrown out

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Ryan L Hyde
Mr. Ryan L Hyde
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Exton , PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Doubtful. A written statement from him is hearsay and now allowed. There are ways of arguing around the rule but depending on who your district judge is they may not allow it. Also, the burden of proof at the district court is lower, prima facie is more like probable cause than proof beyond a reasonable doubt. The Comminwealth gets the benefit of the doubt.

That all being said it sounds like you have some pretty good defenses. A local attorney would know the specific judge and officer involved and could give you specific information on how to best present your evidence to prevail.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.