Murfreesboro, TN asked in Child Custody for Texas

Q: what happens if both parents get married to each other while haveing a custody hearing with a child they share? In texas

We are dealing with court but we both got back together and the case keeps getting pushed out and we both want to end it . we no longer have a need to go to court

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ruby K Bolton
Ruby K Bolton
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • The Woodlands, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Child support and custody orders in Texas will state right in the order that they cease to be effective if the parties marry each other. But you don't need to get married to end the current litigation. Whoever brought the current suit needs to file a non-suit, telling the court that they want to drop it, and the court suit will be over. If the action was brought by the attorney general's office, and you have since gotten married, you should contact the attorney general and tell them about the marriage and they should drop the suit.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.