Atlanta, GA asked in Family Law for Puerto Rico

Q: Family law

If I reside in Puerto Rico and my child is born there, Can I move to another state with my child freely if me and the father were never married?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jose M. Rivera Santos
Jose M. Rivera Santos
  • Ponce, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Greetings:

It is highly recommendable for you to request a hearing that will hear your reasons to move from this jurisdiction to another and for the court to evaluate the best options for both parents and the kid in that given situation. Specially when visitation rights and parental rights might be affected and a regime of visitation and parental relationship has to be established. If you abandon the jurisdiction without requesting this hearing or coming to an agreement with the father of the child, he might be entitled or able file different civil and criminal actions against you. Depending on the adversity of the process, is highly probable that may have to hire legal representation.

If you have any other questions or need any help, feel free to contact us directly and we will be glad to be at your service.

Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.