Little Falls, NJ asked in Family Law for Puerto Rico

Q: If I want to leave PR with my 16yr old daughter away from my husband. will that be considered kidnapping?

I want to leave with my daughter from my bad husband who hasn't been treating us good at all. Should I wait until she is 18 in 2 years or am I able to book a flight to New York and leave now. I just don't want to get into any trouble.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jose Rivera
Jose Rivera
  • Ponce, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Greetings:

Leaving the jurisdiction with your kid without the other parents consent can open the possibility of him filing a complaint against you and a possible criminal process. Considering that you are married, are having incidents with you husband and have a minor, there are several processes that have to be taken care of in a court of law and my nest advice is to hire an attorney so you can seek legal custody, child support, file for divorce and if you have common property request the court what is rightfully yours.

If you have any other question, feel free to contact us directly and we will be glad to be at your service.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.