Dallas, TX asked in Consumer Law for Louisiana

Q: Can I still bring legal action against a business that is inactive? The business went inactive today

Auto repair shop that committed fraud

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Newport Beach, CA

A: To paraphrase a Texas judge: "You can sue a bowl of Gumbo." Most repair shops are licensed by a government agency, you can check for a city/county business license or a state license for auto repair shops. Find out who the license was issued to. Check for the name of an individual so you know who to sue. The problem is not in the suing, it is in the COLLECTING!! Remember, a judgment is just a piece of paper and it does not have a President's picture on it. Also, consider that the shop- meaning the building, lift rack and tools, did not commit the fraud on you, it must have been a person, you can sue them too. I cannot guarantee any particular outcome for you, if you make enough trouble they may just want to pay you off to go away.

Justia disclaimers below, incorporated herein.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.