Asked in Insurance Defense and Traffic Tickets for Utah

Q: What should I do about my no insurance ticket?

On January 1, 2018 I got pulled over for my license plate light being out... but ended up with a no insurance ticket and an impounded car. I was 16 when this happened and my mom was paying the insurance. (I’m 19 now) The officer said the insurance was expired, but I have proof I had insurance on that day. I went to court for a 400 dollar ticket that my mom said she would pay and I entered into a plea of abeyance. I sent the proof in, but my mom did not pay the ticket, so they sent me an order to show cause. I went to court and payed the remaining balance of the ticket off thinking if I did that, it would all go away and be over with. Obviously I was wrong. The DMV suspended my license that exact day and requested I get an SR22 Insurance in my name... which I was quoted for 600 a month... which i’m not even close to being able to afford given im a full time student. I’m going back to court for this in 2 days and I just don’t know what I should do or ask for. HELP!

1 Lawyer Answer
William Melton
William Melton
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Taylorsville, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: Without knowing all of your facts, it sounds like the court revoked your plea in abeyance. If you are still going to court I would ask the prosecutor what the status of your plea in abeyance is. See if the court would be willing to reinstate it (it is a long shot given how old the ticket is). But the DMV could still require you to carry SR22 regardless of the status of the criminal case. The DMV is a civil matter and separate from your "criminal" traffic ticket. If you would like to give me a call, text, or email I can look up your case and give you a better idea of what you should do. My number is 801-784-3500 or my email is

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.