San Antonio, TX asked in Divorce for Texas

Q: Do I have to continue to pay the family insurance if my husband kept the divorce decree active and I did not?

I have brought the house back from foreclosure and lived off of a half salary to pay the insurance. I llive on 1,500 per month and he has not made the house payments since January and he was already behind on the payments. I told my husband that he would have to take up the cost of insurance and he said only when you have put the house for sale and I have signed for it.

Insurance is only available for a window and I chose not to insure the whole family because he does not even pay the medical payments after I pay the insurance. He took the boys for emergencies on several occasions and he listed me as the guarantour and I knew nothing about the visits just received the bills which I have NOT PAID.I called each of the facilities to explain my situation. I now have a bill from a collection agency for an August visit to the ER for one of the four boys. Other nonpayments surely will follow.

He turned off my phone. He told me to pay my own car and house insurance. He has not made payment

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kelly Case
Kelly Case
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: This sounds like it may be a potential contempt matter. If you have a written order where he was directed to pay these items, you may be able to have him held in contempt. You should seek the advice of a qualified Texas divorce lawyer to more specifically answer your questions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.