Toms River, NJ asked in Child Support for New Jersey

Q: My ex husband died and he owed me almost 47,000 in back child support. His sister took his life insurance policy and now

There is a wrongful death suit against the landlord. I’ve been trying to get a hold of Hudson county probation but you can’t get through. Every one I talked to from the court etc said I have to file a motion!!! I have the motion from the ombudsman and it’s crazy!!! Help, please

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Millburn, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You need to hire a competent family law specialist to handle this issue. Everyone has been giving you correct advice. You need to file an application ( motion) with the family court that issued the order for the payment of child support asking for the imposition of a lien on the proceeds of the settlement to ensure that you are paid all of the child support arrears outstanding and if your child[ren] are not yet emancipated, asking for a set aside to cover your ex's share of their suppport through their emancipation. But, you do not have the luxury of time and calling court personnel to handle this issue for you. You need to get a court order from a family part judge authorizing and directing the imposition of restraints on the proceeds and authorizes the set aside of additional monies for future support issues ( if the child[ren] is not emancipated.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.