Des Moines, IA asked in Car Accidents for Iowa

Q: An uninsured 17 year old motorist hit my car and caused $1,000 damage. Do I sue the child or the parent?

The car is registered to the child. They verbally agreed to pay to have my repairs made but I sent copies of the invoices and they won’t pay. I have a copy of the police report and a witness stating it was the kid’s fault. She also fled the scene but I caught up to her and called the police. How do I get the money for repairs? All parties involved live in Iowa.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen Douglas Lombardi
Stephen Douglas Lombardi
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • West Des Moines, IA
  • Licensed in Iowa

A: You file an accident report with the Iowa DOT Motor Vehicle Division explaining there was an collision and explaining why, factually, the other driver was at fault. If they agree with you, then the IA-DOT contacts her and if she does not pay for your damages they take away her driver's license. And she will lose her license until she provides a release from the owner of the other vehicle that all damages have been paid.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.