Tampa, FL asked in Child Custody for Florida

Q: How would I file for full custody of my child if I live in one state and they live in another?

My ex filed false charges against me and I still haven't met my daughter because of it. After the court case is over, I'll be verifying who's child it is with a paternity test. If that comes back and I'm the father, I'm not quite sure how I'd be able to file for full custody, as I live in Florida, and the child lives in New York.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Vanessa Vasquez de Lara
Vanessa Vasquez de Lara
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Miami, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Custody, parental responsibility, and a timesharing schedule can only be done in the state the child resides in. Therefore you need to file in New York and ask for a long distance plan or ask for the child to be allowed to relocate with you in Florida.

Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.