Asked in Collections and Contracts for Puerto Rico

Q: Can a law suite and judgement in Puerto Rico for collection of rent for an abandoned apartment be extended to the States

I have a building in Puerto Rico where a tenant recently stopped paying rent and went back to the states. There are 6 months left on the lease and I am trying to decide whether it's worth pursuing in court.

If I am able to get a lawsuit judgment in PR courts can I then extend that judgment to the states where the tenant is now or is the judgment only valid locally in Puerto Rico?


Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: A judgment from Puerto Rico would be treated as a judgment from any of the 50 states. The judgment creditor would need to follow the procedure required under the laws of the state where property ( or assets such as bank accounts, etc.) has been found, so that the P.R. judgment can be executed in that state, usually through the local sheriff's office.

Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.