Southfield, MI asked in Family Law and Probate for Michigan

Q: Hi I have a question about adult guardianship case. I want to terminate my Father's guardianship case.

Can I have power of Attorney over my parent if someone else has guardianship over him

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Howell, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Court appointed guardianship superceeds previous Powers of Attorney, and if there is no previous power of attorney then being under a guardianship implies you lack capacity to grant a power.

You need to consult with a local probate attorney to determine what you need to do if your FATHER wants to eliminate the guardianship. Please note a guardianship is not 'over' someone but FOR them. The wording matters -- and may help explain why things are structured the way they are!

Seek that local legal representation.

-- This answer is offered for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney/client relationship.

I am licensed to practice in Michigan only. Please seek competent local legal help if you feel you need legal advice

Trent Harris
Trent Harris
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Jackson, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: No, you cannot have power of attorney over your father if he has a guardian. He has a guardian because he doesn't have the capacity to handle his own affairs, and thus he can no longer has capacity to appoint you as his power of attorney.

The alternative is that you could ask the court to modify the guardianship and appoint you as guardian instead. To do so, the court would need to be persuaded by evidence you present that the current guardian is not qualified, willing, and able to serve as guardian and act in your father's best interests, but you are. For further information, get a consult with a competent probate attorney in your area.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.