Long Branch, NJ asked in Child Custody and Health Care Law for New Jersey

Q: Can our outpatient pediatric clinic release records to DCP&P without parental consent so they may investigate

There was an allegation of child abuse from a third party. They would like to know if child is receiving appropriate healthcare services

1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Short Hills, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: For safety purposes, since a HIPPA release form was not signed by the parents, the facility should have a court order in its file authorizing and directing it to comply with the turnover of specific healthcare records. If it does not have a court order directing the turnover of specific healthcare records, it needs to have paperwork from the AG's office on behalf of DCPP ( at a minimum), directing it to comply with the request for turnover of specific healthcare information as a result of its investigation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.