Trenton, MI asked in Traffic Tickets and Insurance Defense for Michigan

Q: I lost my insurance 2 years ago and had an accident. Their insurance is trying to get me to pay $6000 for her repair.

I was given a ticket for impeding traffic. I did hit the back left side panel of her car.

1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Bredow
Mark Bredow
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Bloomfield Hills, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Michigan is a No-Fault state. This means that all drivers are required to purchase insurance on their vehicles and that if there is an accident, regardless of who is at fault, each driver's insurance pays to cover their own medical bills, lost wages and damage to their own vehicle. The drivers are not permitted to sue each other in court, except to recover the amount of their insurance deductible. If a motorist is not insured he is operating the vehicle illegally and the other driver's insurance company is permitted to bring a suit to recover its damages. If you had kept the vehicle insured, they would not be permitted to do that. Your option is to defend the case and show that you were not at fault, but that may be difficult or impossible as you were not supposed to be on the road in an uninsured vehicle. If they obtain a judgment, you may apply to the Court for an installment payment agreement to allow you to make payments that you can afford. Be prepared to show the Court your income and your household expenses so the Court can determine a fair payment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.