San Antonio, TX asked in Elder Law for Texas

Q: Can my elderly mother purchase my home to make it into her primary residence and still qualify for Medicaid?

This will be an arm's length transaction.

Once she purchases my house, all her cash will be converted into home equity. She doesn't own another house. This will be her primary residence.

She currently lives with me so I can look after her. If we make this transaction, will I be able to live with her to continue to provide support.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terry Lynn Garrett
Terry Lynn Garrett
  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: She should record it with the central appraisal district as her homestead and live there at least a month before entering a nursing home and applying.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.