Jewett City, CT asked in Child Support for New Jersey

Q: I am 18 and i’m going to have a baby. My ex is 17, almost 18. Will he have to pay child support?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Millburn, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: I dont know your employment / income setting nor the employment / income setting of your ex but if you and he are typical 17 & 18 year olds, neither of you has much money nor the ability to support a baby properly. As a result, if needed, there are a number of federal and state government programs available to assist with health insurnace coverage, payment of health care costs and support for the baby. All or most of those governmental programs can be applied for on line and I would apply for them now so that your prenatal care costs can be addressed as well. In filing the applications, you will identify the biological father and agree to assign over your right to the payment of child support from him to the state and the government will provide you with a monthly support assistance for the baby and it then has the right to go after the father for reimbursement of the monies paid out for the baby's benefit.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.