Everett, WA asked in Bankruptcy, Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for South Carolina

Q: My parents' passed, their house was in foreclosure, house went to me, now I am listed on foreclosure as owner.

My parents died intestate with their home in foreclosure status. I have been told I am not responsible for the loan itself, however, I was served with an Owner for Joiner as Defendant because I am listed on the deed. When I went to inquire about purchasing my home, this came back against me. Is this legal if I am not responsible for the loan? I was never maid aware of this being a possibility because again, I was told I am not legally responsible for their debt. I am simply listed on the Deed to the home through the property laws of South Carolina. How do I get out of this situation so I may purchase my own home in the future?

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: You are not legally responsible for the debt. However, if you wish to inherit or retain the property, you will have to pay off that debt.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.