Pittsfield, ME asked in Family Law for Maine

Q: So my ex cheated on me and I didn't know until she had a baby, I thought I was the father so I signed the childsupport

Papers, and recently I've been thinking and theres no way the child could be mine. If I get a paternity test and I am not the father will I be able to stop paying childsupport?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Guillory
Robert Guillory

A: i cannot answer your question accurately with the information you have provided me. First and foremost how old is the child? if the child is less than 2 things will be much easier for you. You said you signed the child support. i dont know what that means. Did you sign the birth certificate or is there a court order that you pay child support that you agreed to? if there is no court order then you dont have to pay until you are ordered to do so. if there is an order you can file a motion to modify claiming you are not the father. if the child is more than 2 and you have been acting as the father since birth you could be the legal father even if you are not the biological father. i would strongly suggest you get a phone consultation from a lawyer near you or near where the child is living. Most lawyers will give a free consultation. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.