Irving, TX asked in Divorce for Texas

Q: My wife of 20+ years separated from me for less than a month, shortly after had divorce papers drawn. I have no money

I also don't have a car or a place to live. I have disabilities. She knows all this, but somehow expects me to pay for her lawyer. Do I have recourse?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kelly Case
Kelly Case
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If I understand your question, you are asking if you have any recourse for action when your wife of 20 years has filed for divorce? Yes, you do but if one person wants a divorce, practically speaking, a court is going to grant the divorce. However, if you are asking if you have to pay her attorney's fees, then my answer is "no". Typically when parties settle their case and file for divorce they can either split the attorney's fees if only using one attorney, or they each pay their own attorney's fees. She may be asking you to pay her attorney's fees, but you certainly don't have to agree to it, or anything else. However, you have to ask yourself what this will cost if you do not agree? If she is not asking for much and the fees are "reasonable" it may be worth it. Hard to tell without a lot more information that is missing in your initial post.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.