Atlanta, GA asked in Divorce and Child Custody for Alabama

Q: My wife told me she wanted a divorce recently, we've been married less than a year, but have 2 daughters together.

Her agreement proposed to me for custody only lets me have the kids 6 days a month. I want joint custody. I found out very recently and can prove infidelity starting 2 months into the marriage and a week vacation she took to shack up with the guy, and lied to me and the girls. Wondering if I should confront her with it now, and use it as leverage in reaching an agreement. Or hold my cards close, and how can I use this to make sure I'm given fair custody.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Travis T Juneau
Travis T Juneau
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: I'm going to try to distill the question down to its essence, you and your wife of a year want to be divorced, you have two children together, she has been cheating on you for at least the past 10 months and you want to ensure a fair custody. You have a good number of options in front of you, first you could have your own settlement agreement prepared and presented to her, you could have a contested divorce and either settle, try, or mediate that case. A skilled divorce attorney will be able to help you decide which is a best first step.

You should be in the information gathering phase right now and trying to gather all evidence of her cheating. If you confront her too soon you may not have the opportunity to gather key evidence. You best option is to sit down with a divorce attorney and come up with a plan.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.