Bowling Green, KY asked in Contracts and Civil Litigation for Kentucky

Q: What kind of lawyer should I contact?

A friend of mine stole some things from me and accused me of the police. I explained to them what really happened and I reported her for stealing my stuff which has a total value of 600 dollars and she also owes me another 60. A police officer told me to press charges against her for defamation and to get my 60 dollars back but I don't know what kind of attorney or lawyer I should contact.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar

A: A Kentucky attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for three weeks. There are lawyers who handle defamation matters. It doesn't involve pressing charges; it's a civil law cause of action for damage to one's reputation. But keep in mind that defamation cases are not handled on contingency (like car accidents, where attorney is only paid a percentage if they win). Handled on an hourly basis, a defamation case that goes nowhere could chew through much more than $600 in attorney fees very quickly. Contact Kentucky attorneys and ask their take on the matter, but I don't recommend pursuing a defamation action on an hourly basis. It could only wind up compounding the loss. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.