Aledo, TX asked in Divorce for Texas

Q: My ex stopped paying alimony and now resides in Hawaii. What can I do from Texas?

He stopped paying over a year ago. He was out of work so I gave him time to find work and did not go after him. Now he has been working again for a year in Hawaii and hasn't started paying again. I need help, please to figure out if a local attorney can help me or if I need to find an attorney in Hawaii.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Carl J Selesky
Carl J Selesky
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You're going to need to start with a local attorney, as any pleadings would very likely need to be filed in the Court of original jurisdiction. I'd (or any attorney) need to see the original document before I could tell you what your options are. However, typically spousal maintenance is Ordered out of Chapter 8 of the Texas Family Code. You'd be advised to schedule a meeting to discuss your options.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.