Bay City, MI asked in Banking for Michigan

Q: Banking help for person from United States that is stuck in Canada from pandemic shutdown.

There is a friend that is stuck in Canada still from the Clovid-19 lockdown. While in Canada the person had their bank account in the United states suspended due to , the bank says, fraudulent activity. The company this person works for can only deposit money earned to bank account. Meanwhile my friend has talked to the bank and the bank won't help unless you show up in person. So all the time in Canada, there are accrued motel bills. Is there any legal way I can help my friend get their pay so they can take care of the motel bill and get back home to their family.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ana Maria Del Valle-Aguilera
Ana Maria Del Valle-Aguilera
  • Business Law Lawyer
  • Miami, FL

A: Banks have systems that "red flag" accounts when certain events happen, such as uncommon account usage or access from new locations. Banks will have procedures in place to identify the person and ensure that there is no identity theft. Depending on her bank, talking to someone that can resolve the situation may be easier or not. Smaller banks where the account officer knows the customer well and can identify her over the phone by asking her questions only she should know, would be enough. Another alternative, is for her to have a power of attorney executed in Canada, in favor of a friend in the US that can go to the bank and be entitled to talk on her behalf. A Michigan attorney could explain to you if under Michigan law the bank must accept the power of attorney. This would require the expense of an attorney in Canada and probably one in Michigan. Another option, which I recommend, is to contact her local Senator or Representative to Congress (State or Federal). The office of the Senator or Representative can contact the bank directly to resolve this problem, or they can get the FDIC involved. The advantage of going through her politically elected representatives is that the banks have a shorter period within which to resolve this issue, just a few days. She can check her representatives' websites and might even be able to fill-out a request for help online. She can also contact directly the FDIC and file a complaint, but the bank would have a longer period of time to take care of the matter.

Good luck.

My response provides only general information and is not intended to provide you with specific legal advice, nor create an attorney-client relationship. You should not use or rely on this information without first consulting with your own lawyer and discussing your specific facts and available options in detail.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.