Owings Mills, MD asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Maryland

Q: Meaning of “it is further ordered that the matter of child support be resolved upon the filing of appropriate pleading”

My ex wife and I have a signed Judgment of Absolute Divorce and now she treating to take down for child support and maybe full custody. We have a ordered of joint legal custody now and the original question with other orders in affect. I just want to know if she can file to change anything 2yrs later. We are in Maryland.

1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: The visitation schedule, child support, and legal custody can all be modified at any time upon one party filing a motion and supporting the change with evidence of a material change in circumstances from when the last court order was entered. If there was never a determination of the amount of child support, then no special circumstances need be shown: the court is simply being called upon to set the appropriate amount.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.