Chandler, AZ asked in Child Support and Divorce for Arizona

Q: My child support was ordered before I put my boys in daycare. Can I change my Child support to get more help?

2 boys & i only get 400/month well 372/month since i did des child support assistance and they take some off for the service.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jay Hall
Jay Hall
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Childcare costs can be added to the child support worksheet, but it is entirely discretionary. This means it is entirely up to your specific judge. The factors that most commonly affect this decision are the comparative incomes between the parents and the parenting schedule. If parents earn similar amounts and/or exercise approximately equal parenting time, childcare costs are less likely to be included.

Long story short, you can try to modify child support (so long as inclusion of the childcare costs change the existing obligation by at least 15%), but there is no guarantee your judge will include those expenses.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.