Midlothian, IL asked in Divorce and Family Law for Indiana

Q: My ex-husband has been ordered to pay me $500/month but he hasn't paid at all. Can I seek an order of garnishment?

He doesn't show up for court so I don't know if he even knows that he's been ordered to pay me. I am trying to do this without a lawyer since it is so expensive and the money actually is owed to my daughter (for reimbursing tuition) and the legal fees would almost be as much as he owes! The judge said that I had the wrong order filled out so can you please tell me the name of the order and where I can find it? It is a Lake County, IN family court case. Thank you!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Troy Tyson
Troy Tyson

A: You may be able to obtain this type of order from the court, but as you were advised by the judge, you'll need to do it properly, and you will need to be able to prove that your ex-husband was served. If your ex-husband has failed to comply with the provisions of prior orders, he could be held in contempt, and you may be eligible to receive reimbursement of your attorney fees. Given that fact, as well as the fairly large amounts of money involved here, you really should consider retaining an attorney to help you with this, to ensure that it is done properly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.