Norwood, NJ asked in Landlord - Tenant for New Jersey

Q: can a landlord refuse to renew a lease in union city nj?

i, the landlord need to occupy the premise

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Derek John Soltis
Derek John Soltis
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Jersey City, NJ

A: Under normal conditions what you propose would be fairly straight forward.

1. You send notice that the lease is terminated and that you as the owner intends to occupy the space.

2. The tenants vacate. Your Done.

Option if the tenant doesn't vacate

3. You take them to court.

4. The court reviews the matter and most likely orders them to vacate. (Lots of different things can happen at this stage, but that is the desired outcome.)

5. You schedule a lockout with the sheriff.

6. The tenants either vacate or ask for an order of orderly removal and get extra time. Normally the extra time is limited to a week.

7. Eventually, the Sheriff locks them out if they do not vacate.

That is an overly simplified list of what can happen.

However, with the Coronavirus in play, the courts aren't working. You can try steps 1 and 2, but with the eviction moratorium steps 3 to 7 are on hold.

We have had people calling us that their landlords are moving for money judgments in order to get tenants to the negotiating tables. At this time NJ has emergency rent relief for Tenants that were current on their rent as of March 20th.

If you have specific questions reach out to an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.