Allendale, MI asked in Divorce and Family Law for Michigan

Q: Can my husband kick me out of the house before a divorce? The property was paid off during our relationship.

We have one child together. I have two from a previous relationship. He claims I didn't contribute at all to the property payments. I work a little bit , but not full time because of the baby.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mechelle Woznicki
Mechelle Woznicki
  • Portage, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: No, he cannot kick you out. He would need a court order signed by a judge to gain "exclusive use" of the marital home. How much you work or contribute has nothing to do with that.

If you have more questions, you can schedule a call with me on my website at

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.