Colorado Springs, CO asked in Civil Litigation for Ohio

Q: How do I get my belongings back from a former girlfriend that will not relinquish my posessions? I am in Celina, OH

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Hunter G. Cavell
Hunter G. Cavell

A: You can ask her again, and if she refuses, then file a police report for theft. If the possessions are yours, and not owned jointly by you and her, then she should give them back. After filing the report, depending on the value of the items, you may need to file suit for conversion in either the small claims division of your municipal court (if worth less than $6,000), municipal court (if less than $15,000), or county court if greater. You should contact an attorney if talking to your ex does not work. If it isn't worth too much, then it may be best to cut your losses and not have any further contact, but that's a personal, and not legal, choice to make.

Nicholas P. Weiss agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.