Austin, TX asked in Family Law and Adoption for Oklahoma

Q: How can I change her last name to my other kids last name and around how much will that cost???

I have a child shes one of my middle children whos last name is my ex husbands who is her sperm donor my older 2 and my youngest all have the same dad and same last name. Her sperm donor has been non-existent since she was 3 months old and my other kids dad has helped raise her thats who she knows as dad. Because he wasnt present for so long the state took his rights he has none. Only I have rights to her. My other kids dad her dad will adopt her if needed but wasn't sure if that was necessary to change her last name if her sperm donor had his rights taken and only I have rights to her

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Pete David Louden
Pete David Louden
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Norman, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Typically parental rights are only terminated if a child is adopted or for abuse or neglect in a very specific deprived child action.

If there was a sperm donor that would be a separate issue.

So, not sure if there has been an actual termination of rights here or if this is a matter where there is no visitation order. My suggestion is take your documents to an attorney so they can determine the current status and that will determine what action you will need to take going forward.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.