Birmingham, AL asked in Car Accidents and Civil Litigation for Alabama

Q: My boyfriend borrowed a friends car (no insurance on car) with her permission. Something broke on the front end and he

Wrecked the car but didnt hit anyone else. She is threatening to press charges against him if he doesn't buy her another car by end of the week. The wreck just happened last night. Can she do that?

1 Lawyer Answer
Samuel G McKerall
Samuel G McKerall
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Gulf Shores, AL

A: No, under the facts as you have given them she cannot do that. On the other hand, if it turns out he did NOT have her permission, then she can, but it won't get her anything since he will then have to be spending money on a criminal defense attorney.

But beyond that, and there's not enough room on here to discuss the full ramifications of this, if he was not negligent in any way, then she can't even sue him in civil court and win. Stated another way, if its not his fault then he can't be held responsible.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.